The SNE's missions:
• To act as the mouthpiece for the publishing profession and maintain an ongoing dialogue with all book-chain stakeholders ¬and the national, public and private bodies that contribute to the industry's economy;
• To represent publishing at national level. The SNE maintains close relationships with the French Ministry of Culture and Communication, particularly the Books and Reading Department and the National Book Centre. Other frequent SNE interlocutors are the ministers for National Education, Research, Foreign Affairs and Cooperation. SNE representatives also hold regular meetings with officials from the Senate and National Assembly;
• To represent the French publishing profession within the Federation of European Publishers (www.fep-fee.be) and the International Publishers Association (www.internationalpublishers.org) to keep track of European and international legislation;
• To support creativity by defending the freedom to publish, protecting copyright and defending the principle of the net book agreement and editorial diversity;
• To promote books and reading by organising events related to books, including the Paris Book Fair;
• To inform members of the latest regulatory, legal and economic issues and organise industry meetings, conferences and training programmes;
• To publish annual statistics pertaining to the publishing profession.